[oberlist] Elections are a Con: Censorship by the provincial government of Tyrol / Zensur durch die Tiroler Landesregierung

Vladimir US vladimir at oberliht.org.md
Fri Jan 20 19:29:15 CET 2012

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Oliver Ressler <oliver at ressler.at>
> Date: Jan 15, 2012 4:29:21 PM EET
> To: newsletter at ressler.at
> Subject: [Newsletter] Elections are a Con: Censorship by the
> provincial government of Tyrol / Zensur durch die Tiroler
> Landesregierung
>

> (for German and an image please scroll down)
>

> “Elections are a Con” – Censorship by the provincial government of
> Tyrol
>
> On November 21, 2011, I received a funding commitment from TKI –
> Tiroler Kulturinitiativen / IG Kultur Tirol. This resulted from an
> exemplary transparent juried process that selected, from 56
> proposals, seven projects for funding, including my poster project
> “Wahlen sind Betrug” (“Elections are a Con”). The posters with the
> terse slogan “Elections are a con” were to be displayed over a
> period of two weeks in Innsbruck (Austria) as a series of city-light
> posters or on large billboards.
>
> The slogan “Elections are a Con” (Elections piège à cons) was coined
> in May 1968 in Paris. The German version of this slogan, shaped by a
> specific historical setting, would be placed over a photograph that
> shows the Tyrolean Alps. Comparable images appear repeatedly in the
> background of posters from political parties competing in Austrian
> elections. The poster series “Elections are a Con” would lack the
> usual portraits of politicians and constitute a provocative blank
> space. Instead of meaningless election advertising, one could read
> the matter-of-fact statement that “elections are a con”.
>
> Surprisingly, I was notified on December 21, 2011 by an email from
> the Cultural Department of the Tyrolean provincial government that
> “after another thorough examination of the submitted documents and
> in consultation with a member of the provincial government of Tyrol,
> Dr. Palfrader, my project would not be supported.” Despite repeated
> requests, there has been no explanation for this unusual decision to
> override a work, which was selected by a jury in a lengthy process.
> The only “response” was a short e-mail on December 23, 2011 by Mag.
> Nagiller Wöll of the cultural department of the government of Tyrol,
> in which she stated that she had explained the reasons for rejecting
> it in a conversation with a representative of TKI (Dr. Anita Moser).
>
> In that conversation, Mag. Nagiller Wöll explained that the Tyrolean
> provincial government could not support my work, because the text on
> the poster would be wrong. Elections would not be a con, but
> election advertising.
>
> The Tyrolean government claims for itself the right to judge
> something decided by a jury meeting openly in front of an audience,
> without apparently being able to understand the contents of a clear
> project description.
>
> The project description had the following explanation:
>
> “Walden Bello was arguing that Western democracy is an ideal
> situation for insuring the continued power of elites; because it
> [...]

Vladimir US

CHIOSC   |   curator

http://chiosc.oberliht.com
http://plic.oberliht.com
http://chisineu.wordpress.com
http://bucuresti68.wordpress.com
http://www.facebook.com/Oberliht

Proiectul CHIOSC este realizat cu suportul financiar al Fundatiei
Culturale Europene http://www.eurocult.org

--
Moldova Young Artists Association "Oberliht"
http://oberliht.com

tel/fax:	+ (373 22) 286317
email: 	vladimir at oberliht.org.md