[Oberlist] EU# official european profilesharing campaign

oberlist mailing list ober la emdash.org
Joi Ian 24 02:02:07 CET 2008

--
Moldova Young Artists Association "Oberliht"
http://www.oberliht.org.md
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .

Subject: Radical-europe Digest, Vol 11, Issue 21
From:    radical-europe-request la listes.agora.eu.org
Date:    Wed, January 23, 2008 13:00
To:      radical-europe la listes.agora.eu.org

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:35:10 +0100
From: "Alex Foti" <alex.foti la gmail.com>
Subject: [Radical-europe] official european profilesharing campaign

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: nettime's green conscience <nettime la kein.org>
Date: Jan 21, 2008 11:13 PM
Subject: <nettime> I Wouldn't Steal
To: nettime-l la kein.org

European Politicians Launch Pro-Filesharing Campaign
Written by Ernesto on January 19, 2008

http://torrentfreak.com/politicians-launch-pro-filesharing-campaign-080119/

Greens EFA, a coalition of two political parties that currently have 42
seats in the European parliament, have launched a pro-filesharing campaign
named "I Wouldn???t Steal" (www.iwouldntsteal.net). Their goal is to counter
the anti-piracy propaganda put forward by the entertainment industry, and
encourage people to download and share.

The message put forward by the parties is pretty strong: "Whenever you rent
a movie, the multinational media industry forces you to watch their
propaganda. They claim that downloading movies is the same as snatching
bags, stealing cars or shoplifting. That's simply not true -- making a copy
is fundamentally different from stealing."

Greens EFA claim that the entertainment industry exploits artists and sell
propaganda, and want to make the public aware of this. We couldn???t agree
more of course, and it is good to see that these established political
parties are attempting to decriminalize filesharing. As they write: "The
media industry has failed to offer viable legal alternatives and they will
fail to convince consumers that sharing equals stealing. Unfortunately,
they have succeeded in another area -- lobbying to adapt laws to
criminalize sharing, turning consumers into criminals."

In collaboration with R??FILM the parties created a short clip for the
campaign. which they made available on BitTorrent by uploading it to The
Pirate Bay. It's beginning to look like things are finally starting to
change, politicians are not scared anymore to embrace BitTorrent sites
such as The Pirate Bay, and stand up for people's right to share culture.

The Pirate Bay is of course delighted by the campaign and even updated the
logo on their frontpage to show their support. Pirate Bay's Brokep told
TorrentFreak: "I love that there are smart people that understand how the
world works and I'm gonna support them with whatever means I can".

Let's hope the entertainment industry is paying attention as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXv3naV_IQ

#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime la kein.org